Shadowban- This term has been thrown around quite a lot lately but not many of us know exactly what it means. I didn’t either and this article may not be 100 percent accurate but it will help you with some information on this hot topic doing the rounds these days!
What is a shadowban on Instagram?
An Instagram Shadowban is when the hashtags you use for your posts suddenly become undiscoverable. This means, your account will only be seen by your followers and no new accounts will be able to see you. Frightening? Yes it is, the account you have been working so hard on for a few years suddenly becomes invisible to people who don’t follow you, which simply means your followers count wont be going up as it did in the past.
I will simply list the important points in bullet here to keep it concise and precise:
- Firstly, Shadowban can happen to anyone, so you are not doing a grave fraud if you have been shadowbanned.
- The time of the shadowban varies from account to account . Some take a few weeks , some only a few days to being back to a normal account.
- Find out of your account has been shadowbanned: There is a manual trick to find out if this is the case with your account. Ask one of your friends to unfollow you on Instagram, publish a post with a hashtag , ask your friend to search the hashtag, if your post shows up within that hashtag, your account is fine but if it doesn’t show up in that hashtag , then it means your account has been shadow banned and only your followers and you will be able to see the post.
- If you are experiencing a very low engagement rate, likes have gone down and you are loosing followers more than usual , chances are your account has been shadowbanned.
- There is no definite answer on why an account gets shadowbanned but here are a few listed after a lot of research on the internet. Reasons could vary from, using the same hashtags over and over again, using bots, buying likes and followers ( very easy to discover through IP addresses), following or unfollowing people on some kind of a spree, liking endless pics at one go on multiple occasions and some reasons still unknown.
- While the above reasons might be true to some point, I have also read that a bug in Instagram’s “Explore” tab, along with spam filters, is what actually slowed down the engagement . If this is the truth then, we just have to sit tight and wait for the bug to be fixed.
- Now , assuming it is not just a bug but a real activity, lets find how can you potentially prevent it or fix it if your account has been affected.
- Firstly, go cold turkey, take it easy on Instagram for 2-3 days. Some people who were affected by this ban logged out of Instagram for a few days and once they were back the account was back to normal.
- Make sure you mix up the hashtags. Did you know that there are a few hashtags like beautyblogger, woman (as seen below) are banned on Instagram. Avoid using these straight away. Also mixing your hashtags with different posts ensures to let Instagram know that you are not a bot but a real human being.
- If you use bots or any other automative services for your posts, stop immediately.
- Use your hashtags in the captions and not in the comments section.
- Is your account a business account? Change it to personal account- Business accounts are the prime way for Instagram to earn money so yes they will ensure you pay them to get all the business that comes your way via Instagram
I hope this article has helped you understand what a shadowban is and what you can do to prevent it and once it has happened to you. The points here have been written purely on research and have no proof as such. I sincerely hope this has helped in one way or another.
I would love to hear your thoughts on if you have been shadow banned and if not what are your thoughts about it?
Until next time